So the best and worst thing about living in Arizona is that spring/summer comes EARLY…. meaning that there is little time between Christmas and when you get the chance to tan lol. Growing up I always tanned pretty easily, and throughout high school I even did the tanning bed phase (so bad, I know). But in college I really got hooked on spray tans! I would get one the night before a social or big event and would wake up the next morning to shower it off and get ready.
It was such a lifesaver at the time, but now I’m looking for a more long-term and more affordable way to stay tan without ruining my skin! My senior year I bought my first bottle of St. Tropez Express at Ulta and it is a game-changer!!
Why I Love St. Tropez Express
It’s amazinggggg because the St. Tropez Express tanner only takes 3 hours to fully develop before you wash it off. Most spray tans you get at a salon have to sit for 8 hours! With the Express tanner you can even wait as little as one hour – it just depends on what shade you want!
How To Use It:
- DRY BRUSH and then hop in the shower first! This sounds like a waste, but I just hop in the shower really quick to open my pores, exfoliate (important!!!), and shave. It really helps your skin to absorb the color!
- Put your favorite lotion lightly on your heels, back of hands, knees, nose, etc! This will prevent these areas from getting too orange.
- After you’re completely dry, start by pumping 2 pumps worth of the St. Tropez Express mousse onto the mitt. If yours didn’t come with a mitt, you can buy one here!
- I usually start with my lower legs then slowly work my way up. Continue pumping 2 pumps of product onto the mitt as needed. I actually will apply two coats to my chest so that it gets a little bit darker!
- Without putting more product on the mitt, I use the ‘residue’ on the mitt to cover my face, the back of my hands, and the tops of my feet. The self-tanner shows most in areas that have the most dry skin, and these are the areas that you’ll want to be careful!
- Wash your hands!
- Wait 60 seconds before putting clothes on. I usually just wear an old cotton black dress I don’t care too much about in case of any staining.
- Wait 1-3 hours depending on how dark you want to get and shower off when you’re ready. I usually don’t exfoliate for a couple of days after I use self-tanner to make the color last as long as possible.
That’s it! It’s so simple and gives the best color too. I definitely feel tanner for a good 4-5 days after using it too! You can shop the St. Tropez product I use (and more) in the widget below!
What do you guys use for self-tanner? Any out there I have to try?! I’ve been wanted to get my hands on one that’s all natural — leave your comments and recommendations below!